I made a third batch of soap Sunday morning, hoping to finally get it all right and end up with a bar of soap I'd be happy to enter in the challenge.
My first decision was to use a different recipe- I wanted one that I knew would get to a thicker trace. I used a recipe I'd developed and used previously- one that definitely thickened more quickly than the recipe I'd used in the previous two batches.
I got everything together- checking twice to make sure I didn't forget ANYTHING. My son was kind enough to take pictures of the process, after I'd made the batter.
I added my colorants, using Blue Vibrance and Turquoise micas from Nurture Soap Supplies, and titanium dioxide in the main batter. I also added kaolin clay for whiteness, and a combination of Fresh and Clean fragrance oil and peppermint essential oil.
I poured most of my main white batter into the mold. It's already at a medium trace, should be great for a spoon swirl.
Time to get busy with the spoon. I was definitely dealing with a thicker batter than in the previous two tries.
And, since this was a spoon swirl challenge, I decided to texture the top with the spoon rather than do swirls with my skewer. I like the way it turned out.
I did not cover or insulate this- since I was using a wood mold instead of silicone, I did not want to take a chance on glycerin rivers. I waited until late Monday afternoon to unmold and cut. Here's the other side of the bar.
One little air bubble, but I like the way the colors move and combine.
So, there you have it- the third time was the charm with this challenge. I had fun with the process, and certainly learned along the journey!