It was dark except for the one side, and blue. I knew I wanted to discharge first, and all that blue meant I'd have to use bleach. So I folded it, clamped it with two plexiglass rectangles, and threw it in a bucket of bleach.
I kind of liked it at this point, the yellow made me happy. But the brown parts were too muddy for me, so I overdyed it in a bit of red.
This sat on my design wall for a good month while I pondered what to do next. I knew the red was too orange for me, so I finally decided to overdye again in a very pale shade of navy blue.
After another few days on the design wall, I decided it needed one more layer to tie it all together. So I used a rubbing plate and three colors of metallic Shiva paint stiks on it. It is now DONE!
It still has marks that hark back to its past as a dark blue fabric- but it has also been totally transformed. I'm rather pleased with it!
I also spent a day this past weekend doing more dyeing- but I don't have pictures of the fabric yet, so those will have to wait.
I also got a lovely surprise this weekend. Del Thomas from California came through on her way home from Indiana, and we met for lunch. It was great to catch up with her- we had a nice lunch at Olive Garden, and shared a piece of rich chocolate cake at the end. She is a fascinating woman who has done a lot for the quilt community all over the country. I've loved getting to meet and get to know her!!