I had to get out early today to get some labwork done before my annual checkup in May- but once I got home and had something to eat, I went down to the studio and spent the entire afternoon there. It is now officially a disaster, but I have most of the upper section pieced!
I am loving that orange ribbon 'border', and the zing it adds! The top will have two more flying geese added to finish it off. I've figured out the arrangement of the blocks- you can kind of see it here.
It just amazes me how well Margaret Miller's template system using graph paper works. I've only had to re-do one piece, and that was due to my error. I found some gridded freezer paper I had dumped in a drawer years ago, and it works great. I hope I can find more somewhere, I don't even remember where I bought this stuff. It has made constructing this design, which has all kinds of weird angles, relatively simple.
I will have lots of time next weekend to sew, also. This is definitely not a quilt top I can sew on after work when I'm brain dead- I really have to pay attention, since I'm making templates and figuring out the sewing order as I go. Lots of partial seaming, so the quilt I did for my son Ian's girlfriend was a good warm-up for this. I know what the final destination will look like, but I have not a clue the route I'll be taking to get there. So I guess that makes this project an interesting combination of structure and improvisation!
I can feel a glimmer of mojo. . .