Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year (and Good-Bye to 2010)

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the coming year and where I hope to go with my art over the past few days- thankfully, away from work.  I can look back at 2010 and know that I did consistently work at my art, although the work isn't as cohesive or unified as I would like.  But I've done some pieces I'm happy with, and others that will just be added to the crap quota, and that's ok.

A lot of people on the Quiltart list are choosing a word for the year- one to inspire and perhaps provide direction.  I'm thinking my word will be FOCUS: on the creative process, on staying healthy, and choosing to concentrate on all the positives in life rather than dwell on the irritations we are have.  I want to take my time and do more thinking about my art rather than jumping in with the first or second idea that strikes me.  I suspect I will produce fewer works this year, but I'm hoping they will be better, and more representative of my voice.  You'll be hearing more about that, and sharing in my journey and work.

I have a lot to be grateful for this year.  I'm 22.9 pounds lighter than I was a year ago- I've rediscovered the fun of shopping for clothes.  I'm making a habit of exercising and eating healthy- although I will say it is a good thing dark chocolate in moderation is now considered healthy!  I have an absolutely adorable granddaughter far away, two grandchildren here, and loving family even if we are all spread across the country.  And if I don't say so myself, I look pretty good for someone who's only days away from turning 60.

I'm thankful for doors the world wide web has opened up to me.  I have friends I've never met in person, but we share common bonds.  I'm connected to the fiber arts world in ways that would not have been possible even ten years ago.

I wish you a blessed 2011, full of family, creativity, and whatever brings joy to your heart.

5 comments:

Kay said...

Happy New YeaR, Beverly. I've enjoyed getting to know you through IT! this year. I hope next year is full of creative growth for you. (And for me, too!)

Karoda said...

In the same vein I am feeling very blessed for my connections and experiences in 2010. Wishing you a super fantastic year ahead...no, make that a super fantastic decade! (and a Happy Birthday too!)

Rian said...

I really enjoyed getting to know you last year! Congratulations on your weight loss and happy 60th birthday. Keep believing.

Debra Dixon said...

I look forward to a new year partnered with you! It's going to be Super!

Sandra said...

Hope you are having a great new year. Happy new year and happy birthday.