Friday, May 31, 2013

Artist of the Month!



I have been busy the past couple of weeks, preparing to have thirteen of my pieces hung for a month-long show at a community social service agency.  Prompted by one of their staff who also has a strong interest in the arts, they installed a hanging system in the waiting room, and invite community artists to show their work.  This month, it's me!

It was a fascinating experience preparing for this.  First, I had  to choose which ones to show.  I don't have a huge body of work- but I did want to showcase my best.  I chose several of my best pieces from the Interpret This! challenge, both of my quilts inspired by the wind turbines.  I wanted to show Green- but at twelve inches square, it didn't have much presence.  So I created a matte quilt, and sewed it to that.  You can see it directly to my left in the picture above.

I also wanted to show two other small quilts, Chaos and Tetes au Dessous.  I ended up painting two stretched canvases black, and sewing them on.  I couldn't believe the difference it made- but of course, I didn't have enough presence of mind to take pictures of them when I was done!

I also had some larger pieces- I couldn't leave these out!


One other artist who has been shown here had a fiber piece in her collection- but this will be the first show that's exclusively fiber.  It will be interesting to see what the response is.

8 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

how exciting! Your pieces look wonderful and I bet they garner a lot of interest. Have a great time with it all month.

Libby Fife said...

The response is going to be great! How wonderful to see your work hanging in one place like that. Very gratifying. You just never know when an opportunity will present itself.

Gina said...

Congratulations, how exciting! Great idea on extending and mounting your smaller quilts.

Vicki Miller said...

Good on you! A gorgeous display!

Debra Dixon said...

Super! Both for you and the center.

JB said...

What a wonderful opportunity!! Congratulations!!

Renate said...

Way to go Beverly! Congratulations on the one woman show! Wish I was there to see it in person!

Online PhD in Psychology by Jennifer said...

Congrats! I think that having local artists being showcased in their hometowns is the most wonderful thing ever. I hope that you enjoyed such a wonderful experience.


Please visit My Webblog