Sunday, July 28, 2013

Where has July gone?

It feels like summer is whizzing by at the speed of light.  Where has the time gone, and why can't winter speed by this quickly?

I am beginning to realize how much having a three year old in our home impacts my studio time.  Don't get me wrong, I love having her here for a time and being able to see her every day- but I am having to work around a very active, inquisitive toddler.  I am about halfway through quilting Shannon's tee quilt- nothing fancy, just straight line quilting, but it has reminded me of why I don't do bed size quilts.  It is not easy muscling all that fabric under my Juki!

However, I do have some inspirational quilts to show.  The annual Springville quilt show opened last week, and Marly, Michelle, and I went to see it yesterday.  There were more hand quilted entries than I've seen in the past, lots of traditional quilts, and a few art and modern quilts.  So here's what struck me enough to pull out my iPhone camera.

Best of show was won by Susan McBride Gilgen.  It was a stunning depiction of the Great White Throne in Zion's National Park.  Even up close, I was hard pressed to tell exactly how she created this masterpiece.



There were two quilts that met my definition of insanity, both of them small.  This one was done by Denise Austin, and is only about twelve inches square.



The second was done by Kay Plehn.  It's a little larger than a foot square- but those hexies are about as big as my fingernail.  Shoot me now!





My friend Sue Swinyard entered this charming quilt, using squares she Zentangled.  I love the little pop of red she added- even in the quilting!



This in one of the few traditional quilts I want to make one day- I love how the colors vibrate.  This was done by Marilyn Toone.


This beautiful Phoenix was done by Florence Ann Evans.  She did a gorgeous job with her quilting and threadwork.



 But my absolute favorites were both done by the same artist, Kirsten Barnhill.  I think she did these with silk fusion, but I don't know for sure and the labels didn't give any details.  The are not large- but her work is exquisite.







The colors and subtle imagery on the dandelion piece were stunning.

I am starting to figure out what I'm going to do for my next Tangled Textiles piece- Open.  I have an idea, but I'll need to make a prototype block to see if it will work.  Sean, Marly, and Michelle are leaving for a week or so to visit relatives in Chicago- I need to take advantage of that time!


3 comments:

JB said...

The best of luck on being productive during the family's absence. Thanks for sharing inspiring photos of the quilt show.

Vicki Miller said...

What wonderful work you saw at the show. Hope you get lots done whilst the family is away!

Leisel said...

Those quilts by Kristen Barnhill were my favorite at the show, too. If I'd had the money, I would absolutely have bought the dandelion piece, because I also love what she had to say about it.

The crazy thing was, just a couple of pieces down the hall, there was a small quilt that was so simplistic I could have done it myself in a single afternoon with my extremely limited skills, and that quilter wanted more than double these amazing pieces.