Saturday, September 14, 2013

Wonderful Exhaustion!

I got home yesterday evening from a five day workshop with Carol Soderlund, who is the best fiber art teacher I have ever taken from.  She is well prepared, knows how to manage the class, and is so willing to share her wealth of knowledge about anything related to dyeing.

We folded, clamped, discharged with bleach, and overdyed--


(All of these started with black fabric!)

We printed with Thiox paste on black fabric, or the hand dyed dogs we'd brought with us--




We used potato dextrin- I discharged the black one with thickened bleach, and printed the other with thickened black dye.  Look at all that crackle!




I overdyed some other dogs I brought with me in black, and then printed, doing something I'd never done- illumination!  You mix a Thiox print paste, then dissolve dye powder in that.  It's a fascinating process I will be doing more of!


Some of the black fabric that I'd folded, clamped, bleach discharged and overdyed didn't work for me- so I re-folded (offsetting my folds), and threw it in the Thiox pot.  I am in love with these pieces!






It was a really productive week- I learned a ton, and brought back plenty of fabric and samples.  Oh, yes, and I also came back with the Discharge Book,  fitting companion for my Color Book 1!

But that wasn't all I came back with!  Stay tuned for more!

I'm linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday.  Go take a look at what other fiber artists have been up to!

7 comments:

Libby Fife said...

You are going to be off an running! All of those results have possibilities.

What a lot of fun and maybe this is just what you need to get going.

What Comes Next? said...

look at those lovelies! Looks like you had a great week!

Renate said...

Oh me oh my! Based on your description and results (which I'd love to get my hands on) I need to add a class from Carol to my Bucket list.

Debra Dixon said...

Hope you can cut these!

Lisa Chin said...

That is SO FUNNY that we both came up with the same title for our blog posts! It must mean that we both had a fantastic time! It really was a wonderful exhaustion. Thanks for sharing your photos. I love your pieces too. See you Wednesday I hope!

JB said...

Your fabric is to die for. What a great experience. How nice to see you so enthused!!

Vicki Miller said...

All so wonderful. I want to see what you do with all of these!