We had a lousy weekend weather-wise, so I spent more time in the studio. I've decided I need to add to my stash- mostly value gradations. I've had an idea for a quilt bouncing around in my head for awhile, related to the colors in the desert and mesas around Moab. So I'm dyeing very toned, desert-y colors. Yesterday I did a muted purple and what I hoped would be a sage green. This is what I got--
It's hard to see in the photo, but these have texture- I did them low water immersion, with what I thought was plenty of scrunching and squeezing. I was hoping for some, but not a lot of texture. I think next time I will use more water- almost as much as with regular immersion. I have no desire to sit and stir eight buckets of fabric, but all that water should help minimize the texture.
The two on the right are fabrics I dyed last year, and didn't like- so I folded them, clamped them, and threw them in bleach. I am much happier with them now. I did another one that I really disliked-
It was drip dyed with navy blue, fuschia, and probably some yellows. I folded it into a square, clamped pieces of plexiglass, and bleached it. You can see the original fabric in some of the dark marks. I like it much better, haven't decided if I'll do anything else to it or not.
And, I overdyed the ugly fabric I showed last week.
Not sure about this one, I may overdye it with a bit of blue. I was hoping for more of a burgundy color, not the almost but not quite orange that I got. I'll look at it for a week and decide then.
And, as a Mother's Day present to me- I signed up for a Craftsy class, Shoot It! A Primer on Product Photography. It looks like it will have lots of good information on shooting fabric and soaps to make them visually appealing. I'll let you know how that goes!