I also wanted to try something different for me- using a color for a background rather than white. I decided to go with a gold background, and white, black, and deep red for the swirls.
I don't have a lot of process pictures, since I was both soap maker and photographer this time. No way I was going to risk stopping the process and having the batter go thick on me! I used one of my recipes that has proven to be a slow mover in the past- coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, avocado oil, sunflower oil, and castor oil. I scented it with Brambleberry's Champagne fragrance oil- love how that smells!
Here's my batter, divided out. I used a bit of yellow oxide and a lot of Shimmer Gold mica (from Nurture Soap Supplies) for the main batter. I used activated charcoal, TD, and Brambleberry's Merlot Sparkle mica for the accent colors.
I poured about half the gold batter in my mold, then drop swirled the colors, trying to stay on one side. After all the batter was in the mold, I did some swirls on the top.
So far, the colors look good, just what I was hoping for. We'll see how they look in 24 hours. . .
I realized the next day that I'd forgotten my sodium lactate, so the loaf was soft. This one will need a nice long cure. However, after 36 hours, I couldn't wait any longer, so I VERY carefully unmolded the soap.
So far, so good- but I want to see the inside! So I made one cut- it looks good, I think I may get some butterflies!!
I waited another twelve hours before cutting the entire loaf. I played around with different combinations, and decided this is the one that was most successful. (The differences in the colors are because I used two different cameras- the top pics are from my iPhone, the last is with my Pentax DSLR. The last photo is the most accurate color representation.)