Saturday, March 03, 2007

Someone on the QA list posted this test- which I found very interesting, and promptly asked my daughter and son to complete also. It came as no surprise to me that I am (ta da!!)

Your Dominant Intelligence is Linguistic Intelligence

You are excellent with words and language. You explain yourself well.
An elegant speaker, you can converse well with anyone on the fly.
You are also good at remembering information and convicing someone of your point of view.
A master of creative phrasing and unique words, you enjoy expanding your vocabulary.

You would make a fantastic poet, journalist, writer, teacher, lawyer, politician, or translator.
What Kind of Intelligence Do You Have?

That would explain why I often feel like I am trying to learn a new language (visual), that doesn't always come easily.

We had our last drawing class on Saturday, and there was a "showcase" from all the classes Saturday night. The drawing, painting, and lettering classes all had student work displayed, the theatre group did scenes from three different plays, some of the songwriting students performed their compositions, and we heard bluegrass music from two classes. A fun, interesting evening. Yes, often a lot like amateur night- but I am so glad that Spanish Fork is supporting art education for adults. With the good turnout we had, they are planning another series of classes in the fall. I think I'll take watercolor painting- I think it would help me with my dye painting. Seeing some of the paintings on display was also motivational- most were very good.

I also feel like I have a chance to get to know someone in the arts community. The woman who taught my drawing class has a gallery in town, and I showed her some of my small fiber works. She was interested, asked questions. I think if I can develop a larger body of work, in sizes bigger than the journal quilts, I will approach her about showing them. And, they are expanding the gallery to include space for lessons. She knows I dye and paint fabric, and teaching that might be a possibility. Too cool!

I've already posted the drawing I did of my daughter Shannon. Funny how you see things in a photograph that you don't always see in the actual object. I saw things I wanted to fix, and I did on Saturday, before the show. I fixed the too-dark shadow over her left eye, and complete re-did the nose so it doesn't look like she has a gargantuan upper lip. I like the finished result much better. I've now got it mounted on an 11X14 board, so I can actually frame it. Scary, framing a drawing I did! But, here's the new and improved drawing:


Here's some of the other work. The large painting is by one of the teachers, the others are student work. We actually had a lot more work displayed, I was taking my pictures early in the set-up.


I am sewing again, although it is on a (horrors!!) pattern quilt that I cut out 3-4 years ago and never got any further. It's in my favorite colorway, red, white, and black- and it feels good to be working with fabric again. I'll end up with 27 blocks, which I think I'll turn into several small wallhangings. Pictures maybe later!

No comments: