Sunday, August 07, 2011

Injured on the Job

Sewing, that is.  Yes, today I joined that select group of sewists who have sewn completely through their finger with the sewing machine!


Doesn't look that bad, does it?  And amazingly enough, I've had more painful injuries.  I wasn't even sure what I'd done until I saw that I was attached to my machine.  DJ had to pull out the part of the needle that was still embedded in my finger.  I suspect it will be very sore for awhile, and my funky nail will look even funkier after this- but hey, at least I didn't hit the bone.

And I still managed to get this tee done, using the blue dyed and printed knit I did a couple of weeks ago.



I now have no projects on the horizon, which is just as well since all next week will be an intense dye workshop  I hope I have enough brain cells and energy left with warm weather to get some fabric dyed using my exponentially expanded dye knowledge!

12 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

I sewed through my finger recently too; but, I didn't go all the way through. Ouch!

Anonymous said...

I did that once, and the needle stayed sticking out the top and bottom of my finger--at about the same spot as yours. The worst thing was realizing I had to pull it out. Ugh. However, I was surprised that it neither hurt nor bled very much. I learned a lesson that day.

JB said...

Ugh!! I hope you finger is healing nicely. What an unpleasant shock!!
I really like your tee!! Very smart.

dutchcomfort said...

Ouch!!!
That’s what I call putting your handprint on a selfmade tee!!! I hope the finger heals soon!

Vicki Miller said...

Great to hear from you on my blog. Oops, I imagine that seeing yourself attached to the sewing machine was quite a shock!
I have never done this, although as I do my free motion embroidery without a foot, I have come very close, in fact, today less than a millimetre - but hopefully my luck will hold and I won't join you with the wounded

Rian said...

OUCH! I'm happy to say I've not done that. Yet.

Patty Ashworth said...

When was the last time you had a tetnus shot? You need one every 10 years, or every other needle.
I did do that ONCE, and you do learn.

Del said...

Handsome top! Hope you have a great time at the dye pots.
Be safe! Love, Del

Anonymous said...

I did it too! Sadly I had my needle down feature on....totally freaky and
I did need a tetanus shot.
Hope you're on the mend.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

My biggest fear! Yikes!

Gina said...

How is your finger doing? I haven't yet done that myself but can imagine the pain comes later. I sure like the top you made!

Rayna said...

Uh - been there/done that...6 months or more ago. The needle that broke off, stayed there hidden until my manicurist found it and had to take it out with a tweezer. Only then did the nail begin to heal. Still not grown out. That's what stress does for you!