I got my flat dyes from last weekend washed out, and overall, I am happy with the results. There are subtle variations and some fold lines from the plastic, especially on the lighter values- results that show the maker's hand. That part I really like. Here's the colors I did--
The piece off to the right is fabric I threw in the drip bucket under the table. I had no idea what I would get, but I like the results.
I also did a half yard shibori wrapped on a piece of PVC pipe, and another flag fold. This time I had triangle shaped pieces of plexiglass, which helped a lot. Shibori wrapping is a pain, especially for arthritic hands.
I used grape and black dye on the shibori piece- I will leave it up on the design wall to help decide if I want to overdye it. The flag fold will get overdyed, I'm just not sure what color. I love how the yellow glows, so I'm sort of leaning towards a less intense value of red.
And, I did a silk scarf in a square fold. I left this one sitting in the dye overnight- I wanted to see how good the plexiglass was as resisting the dye. It did better than I was expecting, and the black color I used really glows on the silk. It's not black, but you have to look closely at it to see that.
No more dyeing for awhile- I leave Friday for two weeks, and then will have to work like a madwoman to get my TT challenge piece done. Bits may be done on the trip, but not a lot. I am really looking forward to seeing my sons that live so far away!
I won't have a quilt at Houston, but hopefully I will have at least one photo in the Eye of the Quilter exhibit. I submitted two photos I took in Bodie, the ghost town in the eastern Sierras. It's a juried exhibit, so now I wait for the acceptance or rejection.