Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Loosening the Knot

I had some nice comments on my last post- Libby's opened some doors that I have been exploring ever since.  I learned about the Hard Edge painters, I found some videos that explored modern art, and I've taken some small steps towards applying what I've learned to my own work.

I got a small top pieced last weekend, and I'm hoping to get it quilted in the next couple of weeks- if other life events don't take over.  Both of my adult kids are having life crises at the moment, so that is having an impact.  2013 is shaping up to be a year that I would mostly prefer to forget.

Since the quilt I made will be my next Tangled Textiles piece, I can't show you the whole thing- but here's a detail shot.

I am continuing in my quest to incorporate my hand dyes into clean, minimalist modern designs.  I'm also trying to figure out how to best use my fat quarter favorite green hand dye to best advantage.  This piece answered some of those questions.  I'm now musing on the kind of quilting designs I want to use.

Which brings up another lesson I've learned over the past few months.  I think the way modern quilts use quilting to enhance the piecing, not overpower it, appeals to me also.  I'm finding that I stress a lot less about my quilting- mostly because the kinds of quilting that enhances these designs feels doable.

If you are interested in learning more about art of any era, I found this website that has loads of videos.  I'm trying to get through a six part series entitles "This is Modern Art."  I also found a sequel to "The Shock of the New" here, which was also fascinating.

So there you have it, what is new and exciting in my neck of the woods.  I hope your week is turning out to be a creative one also!


5 comments:

Renate said...

You have piqued my curiosity about your TT piece, but I can wait to see the result. The links that you shared are extremely informative! Thanks for sharing. I have bookmarked them.

Libby Fife said...

Wow! Someone actually listened and took my advice. That is one for the record books:)

Glad you are on your way to sorting things out (but sorry that both of your kids are struggling). I read your comment about the quilting sort of being secondary to the design. You might have a look at the work of Terry Jarrard Dimond. She is very process oriented(as part of her final result) rather than focused on the quilting.

I know you will get to where you want to be:)

What Comes Next? said...

I like what I'm seeing of your latest quilt. I'm also going to be enjoying those links as soon as I find a few minutes to really give them the attention they deserve. So sorry to hear of your kids woes - I do hope the year picks up for you

Debra Dixon said...

In the end, you just have to do the work.

Vicki Miller said...

mmm very tantalising, thanks for the links, these will take me ages to wade through!