Monday, January 20, 2014

Tangled Textiles- 'Digital'

We had our reveal for our latest Tangled Textiles challenge last week- Music.  Here's what I came up with:

I thought a lot about this challenge before I started looking at fabric.  I considered the visual aspects of music- the staffs, the lines that denote the notes- all of which are straight.  I thought about the feel of music, which to me seemed to be best represented by curved, flowing lines.  How to combine the two?

I started searching through my stash, and came across this piece that I did last summer on my week-long dye fest.  I liked the straight lines on it, and the 'exclamations' provided by the Rorschach-like images at points along the lines.  Honestly, it reminded me of an echocardiogram readout- but that has a beat, just like music!

I quilted it in flowing, curved lines.  That showed me how rusty my free motion skills have gotten.  After the quilting, I hand embroidered the 'notes.'


After I'd completed it, I asked my son if it 'said' anything to him,  He immediately responded that it looked like a readout of digitally recorded music.  That made this whole creation complete, and also gave it a name- 'Digital'.

We had lots of fun pieces for this challenge.  Hop on over to the TT blog and see what the others have done!
 

4 comments:

Vicki Miller said...

As I said before this says music to me straight away. Beautiful

Debra Dixon said...

Cool piece! Always nice when someone recognizes what you are trying to do!

Ineke said...

Wow, I did something like that but lenght wise and other colors. You can find it on http://www.ineke-rens.blogspot.com
Sorry for my bad english.

Renate said...

Each time I look at this, I think different aspects of music. this time, the sound waves music creates.