I thought a lot about this challenge before I started looking at fabric. I considered the visual aspects of music- the staffs, the lines that denote the notes- all of which are straight. I thought about the feel of music, which to me seemed to be best represented by curved, flowing lines. How to combine the two?
I started searching through my stash, and came across this piece that I did last summer on my week-long dye fest. I liked the straight lines on it, and the 'exclamations' provided by the Rorschach-like images at points along the lines. Honestly, it reminded me of an echocardiogram readout- but that has a beat, just like music!
I quilted it in flowing, curved lines. That showed me how rusty my free motion skills have gotten. After the quilting, I hand embroidered the 'notes.'
After I'd completed it, I asked my son if it 'said' anything to him, He immediately responded that it looked like a readout of digitally recorded music. That made this whole creation complete, and also gave it a name- 'Digital'.
We had lots of fun pieces for this challenge. Hop on over to the TT blog and see what the others have done!