Friday, October 29, 2010

Lava Lamp

Well, I was still working on it the night before my reveal time- but I got it in under the wire.  I even got to bed at my usual time, not the middle of the night!!


This is my piece for the October Interpret This! challenge.  A perfect storm of the muse deciding to take a vacation and a crisis at work left me feeling adrift and totally uncreative.  A nudge from my daughter (who saw something in the picture I'd overlooked), and I managed to come up with this.  It's 12 inches in diameter- I knew I couldn't manage anything even remotely large!!

The background is a piece I rusted recently, and added tea to get the lovely gray tones.  The 'lamp' is from one batik that I fussy cut to get the different colors and values.  The 'lamp' and the background were constructed separately, the background quilted and then the lamp appliqued.  I finished the edge with satin stitching and couched yarn.

Given the sad state  of my creative muse right now, I'm pretty happy with this one.  I captured a piece of the photo that I liked, and love how the colors in the lamp and the rusted background play off each other.  I'm really glad I don't have any projects I have to work on this weekend.  I think I'm going to give the studio a good cleaning and organizing- and hopefully Ms. Muse will decide it's time to return home.

2 comments:

Libby Fife said...

Hey, you did a good job here! I do like the repitition of those shapes.

Not that you asked but when I am tired of everything and don't know what to do, I do something else that sort of refocuses me and lets my mind wander. Woolgathering can be really productive.

Karoda said...

typically i'm not drawn to round quilts but the fabric choices couples with the stitch lines intrigues me.