Saturday, February 09, 2013

It's Snowing . . . and Dyeing

Our storm, however, wouldn't hold a candle to the Nor'easter that's pounding the east coast.  It's supposed to snow overnight, but I don't think we're going to get more than a couple of inches.  I decided I couldn't wait for the new stuff, so I found some old, icy snow that was clean enough to use.  So this will probably be more like doing ice dyeing than snow dyeing.

After all my experiments with the grays, I needed some color.  Liza Anne brought some gorgeous snow dyes she'd done to the last meeting of the Utah county art quilt group I belong, and they were all about color.  She had one emerald green piece that was stunning.  So we'll see what I get with these.


 Sabrecon red and gold yellow- I think on a couple of Pimatex fat quarters.


 Cerulean blue, and a green made with the same blue and lemon yellow, on Radiance.  That's the luscious fabric that is silk on one side, cotton on the other.  Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Bamboo/cotton fabric with bright blue and Sabrecon red dyes.  I haven't dyed a lot of that fabric, but when I have, it has been gorgeous.


 A yard or so of Pimatex, with Cerulean blue and lemon yellow.  I swirled this one before I put it in the container, we'll see what effect that has.


A couple of rectangular silk scarves, with Sabrecon yellow and fuschia.

The Sabrecon dyes were gifted to me several years ago- from what I was told, they could be as much as ten years old now.  I figured this was as good a time as any to use them up.

I'm going to throw a couple of pieces of unknown cotton on the bottom of a couple of the bins, just to see what happens.  The bins are all covered in plastic, sitting in my cool studio.  So now we wait.  I figure it will be at least Monday before everything is melted.

I had another lovely surprise related to 'Walk in the Woods', which I entered into the Weaver's Guild show in Salt Lake and had the thrill of winning an award.  I subscribe to an online arts magazine (15 Bytes) that covers the arts in Utah. They have an article on the show in the current issue- imagine my surprise to read a mention of my piece!  They didn't include it in the photo gallery, but it was nice to get a mention.  Hopefully this link will take you to the article- for whatever reason, Blogger does not want to cooperate!
http://artistsofutah.org/15bytes/13feb/page6.html

And, I have the trees section of the second in the series about half quilted.  I am happy with how it is coming along, and already thinking ahead to the next step- the machine embroidery.  I'm thinking of using a heavier thread than I used on the first one- but I'd have to find the thread, and do some samples!

A busy week at work, then the last long weekend of the winter arrives.  I'm hoping to make lots more progress on the trees quilt, and have some gorgeous hand dyes to show off!

I'm linking this to Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday post- make sure to go over there and see what all the other artists have been up to!




9 comments:

Renate said...

Those snow dyeing colours that you have used look so yummy. I really like the set up you have there for holding the fabric until the snow melts. Must remember that little trick when I start to do some dyeing. BTW Congratulations on the mention in the article. Always nice to be recognized.

Nina Marie said...

congrats on the article!! and yeah with all the snow we have here I really do need to do some of this! the pictures are so pretty - like big snow cones!

Anonymous said...

What fun! I will look forward to the pieces of beautifully dyed fabric that emerge from your snow dyeing. The colours look fantastic.

Marti said...

The colors are gorgeous, esp. the blue and green, Looking forward to the results.

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
Thanks for the comment on my blog! Your snow/ice dyeing is beautiful. Frankly, I generally skim over all the posts on the SAQA and artquilt list about snow dyeing. I live in South Carolina. This is never going to be vital here but it certainly looks gorgeous in your photos. I really liked the article that mentions your work ... and yes, the link is operational!
Susan

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Beverly. Congratulations for a reward well deserved. Your "Walk in the woods" is lovely and the second one looks follows in its footsteps.
Enjoyed visiting your blog!
best, nadia

Rian said...

It took me a while to figure out that it was snow you had put the dye on. It reminds me of snow cones! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Congratulations on your Walk in the Woods award.

What Comes Next? said...

can't wait to see the results of your snow dyeing - I'm still waiting to try as we don't get much snow around here!

JB said...

Congratulations on the nice write up. Recognition always feels so good.