Sunday, September 09, 2007

Works in Progress. . .

I've been trying to put as much work as possible into the two remaining pieces for the art show in October. I have about ten more days, and then also have to allow time to get them stretched. So here's where I am--

Both pieces are from a group of discharge experiments I did earlier this summer. This one was wrapped around a PVC pipe. When I looked at it after discharge, the first thing that came to mind was a spooky forest- think Harry Potter, for example. So I tried to add stitching to it to enhance that idea, while leaving it largely abstracted. I did quite a bit of zigzage free motion stitching before I ever sandwiched it. And, I found a way to keep it from drawing up! I fused a layer of DecorBond to the back, and then used a tearaway stabilizer under that. It worked beautifully, the piece has stayed flat.

And, I don't believe all art has to be serious or impart a message. Here's a detail shot that should give you a clue as to where I'm heading with this.

The tree quilting is completed, now to finish the black background and borders.

The second one just has the border added, I've not done any stitching. I think I'm going to do an overall pattern in a brown that blends with the discharged areas, to make the black figures pop out. Don't know if it will work, but I'll never know if I don't try it.

Both of this were difficult to photograph, and I never did succeed in making the photos close to the real thing. So this is as good as it gets.

Guess I know what I'll be doing evenings after work this week!


Anonymous said...

hi Beverly -
I've been following your blog lately and like the discharge pieces you are working on - I love discharge and am looking forward to seeing your pieces at our meeting next week. I hope you will also have the red piece - the one you are planning to stretch. As I work a lot with work on stretchers, I am always interested in seeing other peoples versions of that. Ivana

marisa said...

fantastic your experiment.Ciao