Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween, to all who celebrate and love this holiday--

I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of Halloween, but I can't escape it entirely since I live in Utah. It is a huge holiday here, as big as Christmas and definitely bigger than Easter. And Utah county has grundles of trick or treaters. Oh well.

I did, however, get this wonderful Halloween fibercard from Miles- I love it! Love the colors, the stitching, and I still haven't figured out how he cut out that dinosaur skeleton so accurately. Thanks, Miles, it has a place of honor on my postcard wall in my studio.



I went to my poll worker training this morning, the fourth time I've done this. I'm expecting this to be a late night- polls close at 8 pm, but I bet we have a line and then it takes time to do all the tallies and pack everything up. I'll actually be at the same school I was at for the primary in February.

As fixated as I have been on this election, I will be glad when it is over. I remain hopeful, but I'm not counting any chickens before they hatch- I also remain leery of and suspicious of problems that could compromise the outcome. If the outcome is still unclear when I get home, I'll be looking at returns from Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I have been harassing my son in Tampa mercilessly to VOTE EARLY! And tomorrow is his last chance.

My pollworker training reinforced an observation from my trip to Colorado a couple of weeks ago. In the previous elections I've worked, my coworkers have all been boomers or older. There were at least four young workers in my class today, one looked barely old enough to be out of high school. And, the group in Colorado had a large percentage of volunteers in their twenties and thirties.

I've not seen this level of political involvement by a young generation since I began voting in 1972. I'm thrilled that they care enough about their country to volunteer, and to educate themselves on the candidates and their positions. While we were driving back from Colorado, Jeff played a podcast from NCR about the causes of the financial crash. I learned about financial dealings I'd never heard of before- including the fact that much of what was going on in Wall Street was nothing more than legalized, unregulated gambling. And it was a kid in his twenties who helped me with that bit of economic education.

I came away from that trip with much more respect for the generations after me, and the feeling that it is time for us boomers to pass the torch. We had our day, we made great music- but we screwed a lot of others things up. I'm hoping kids like these will do a better job with their lives and their families than many of my generation have.

So, I leave you with this photo of the giant poster along the wall of the Obama headquarters in Montrose. I will be following their election night returns also- I have a personal investment in that outcome!



As my friend Judy says on her blog,

Peace, Love, and Obama '08!!

No comments: