Saturday, June 06, 2009

The Curtains- Part I

It has been a singularly uneventful week, not much going on here that is blogworthy. I finally got the dye studio cleaned up today, the last set of "dishes" is drying. I can see the top of my cutting table. The fabrics I dyed last weekend have been sorted and stored, after cutting off inch squares for the record book.

The only dyeing this week was a long piece to line the curtains I am making for Sean and Marly's baby, due next October. We don't know what it will be, so Marly picked a fabric that will work for either a boy or a girl. I agreed to make simple tab top curtains, and decided to dye a muslin for the lining.

For the first time, I used measures that were based on the weight of the fabric. All of them were calculated to get a pale shade of yellow. What I got was a very bright, pale yellow!

So today, I dunked the fabric in ecru dye, hoping it would knock the brightness back a few notches. Here's what I ended up with- the print I'm coordinating with is next to it.



My yellow is more lemon than the print. I've thought about using a very pale shade of violet in another dyebath, but I'm not sure that will be any better. It is for the lining, and won't be seen much except from the outside. So maybe I'll decide to leave well enough alone.

I learned something else last weekend. I had an extra piece of soda soaked fabric, so I started using it to wipe up my spills. I think it turned out kind of cool!



You can definitely tell what colors I was using. Anyway, I won't be wasting paper towels on cleanup any more- this is much better, I could end up with a piece of art!

That's all that's exciting from my end of the world. Not very,is it!!?

1 comment:

Judy said...

I like the contrast of the yellow with the main curtain fabric! I looked at your more recent post first and thought that you had really planned it that way, and it looked great to me! LOL
Aren't the cleanup cloths great?!! I do that all the time. I keep a huge laundry basket of them in my studio...someday I'll make something with them. I'm embarrassed to say that I also use papertowels....but then I do put them into quiltlets, so I suppose that is ok!

xo