I got four containers with half yard pieces of fabric done this weekend- it batched while I spent the better part of yesterday quilting the borders on my 'Interpret This!' February piece. My setup was improvised and hurriedly done- the fabric on top of two small containers which were then set in a larger container. Everything I've read said that the results are better if you don't let the fabric sit in the dye. The snow we got was the dry Utah powder, not a lot of moisture in it. After dumping the dyes on top of the snow, I set the container out in the garage to spend the night. Cold, but warm enough that the snow would melt overnight.
From front to back, I used grape and cerulean blue, golden yellow and charcoal gray, fire red and lemon yellow, and cerulean blue with lemon yellow. I wanted to make sure and use a couple of mixed dyes to see what would happen with them.
I brought the fabric in Saturday morning, and let it sit under my heat lamps until late afternoon. Then I washed them out. Here's what I got--
Not as dramatic as some of the results I've seen on other blogs, but I will definitely use them. This fabric is not mercerized and the dyes have all been sitting in my little frig since last fall- so I wasn't surprised by the paler colors. I do like the veining I got in a couple of them, and the red/yellow one has some nice dramatic areas that could either be used for sunset skies, or flower petals. All in all, an experiement well worth the time.
It's snowing again today, and I'm packing to leave for southern Utah for the week. Don't know if there will be any snow left when I return on Friday. There's a winter storm warning out for all of southwestern Utah, so the driving will be slower than normal.
I'm taking my challenge piece with me, too- there's handwork I can do. When I get back, the only thing left is a bit of quilting in the very center. But it will give me something to do in the hotel room besides watch TV.
Hope your week is a creative one!