Sunday, June 29, 2008

June TIF Challenge, and some extras!!

I haven't blogged a lot about the TIF challenge recently. After a couple months of not being particularly inspired by the theme or the colors, June's piqued my interest. I liked the theme, but nothing visual jumped to mind- so I went with the colors. They are not ones I would normally put together, but they intrigued me. I started with embroidery floss, because I've had a yen to do something with handwork, something more portable than I usually do. Then I just rooted through the stash to find fabrics of similar colors.

When I don't have a specific image in mind, I like just playing with shapes and colors. This came together in fairly short order--



I have several more design elements in mind to add with embroidery and beading. DJ and I are going to an outdoor concert tomorrow night- think I will be taking this to work on while we wait, since I can count on it being light until 9 pm.

Shannon and I went out for a bit this afternoon, to see if we could get any good pictures of flowers to add to my design files. She had better luck with her camera than I did, and she seems to have a knack for getting flowers from unusual angles. But I was happy with a few, like this one of a red lily. I have played with the brightness and contrast in Elements.



I also like this pansy-



Shannon got some awesome ones of other lilies, which I will keep in the back of my mind for a design I've been thinking about for awhile. AFTER I finish some of the other projects I have going!!

On a totally different note, my church had a huge garage sale on Saturday, to raise funds to buy a church building in Uganda for an organization that works with orphans. I wasn't on the lookout for anything, but scored these items for my studio--



I now have a studio microwave,so I can warm up dye solutions, and even play with silk dyeing in the microwave. The nice litle table also holds several storage containers with various dye powders. I also got an overhead projector!! So now enlarging drawings will be a snap. It works, just needs a new bulb, which I've already ordered online.

I am looking forward to a short work week. I'm taking Thursday off, hopefully to play in the studio since I will be the only one home. Friday we'll probably go to Provo to partake of all the July 4 celebrations. If this weekend is any foretaste, it will be a HOT holiday weekend!

No comments: