Sunday, September 28, 2008

More from Reno

Lots more pictures from Reno- on Saturday, we went for a long drive up Carson Pass in the Sierras. I was hoping for fall color, but there wasn't much to see.

But first, we went to breakfast with a couple of friends that I hadn't seen in a very long time. We spent two hours talking over our food, and lots of coffee when the food was gone. Bill and Dawn have wicked senses of humor, and we had lots of laughs talking about our respective children. I made sure Paul got a picture of us before we parted ways--



Then we headed up into the mountains. Just over the pass we found a lake that was being totally drained so they could repair some damage to the dam. It was fascinating walking around a lake bed. Here's an overview, with some fishermen in the distance.



I was surprised at how little trash we could see on the lake floor. We found hollow tree stumps,



and cool rusty stuff.



I got lots of pictures of these mud cracks, I hope to turn some into thermofax screens.



Sunday afternoon, I flew home and decided to try taking pictures out my window. Even in dry and arid Nevada, I saw some interesting stuff. These hills have all kinds of interesting color--



My brother in law tells me that Nevada actually has good soil, but it's impossible to farm without irrigation. It's clear where they are farming from the sky, just look for the crop circles!



A quilt with imagery from aerial photography has been percolating in my mind, so some of these may be used in a future project.

I had a very busy week at work, then spent yesterday at a friend's studio in Heber, waxing and dyeing. But more about that later!


No comments: