Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tetes au Dessus  (or, Heads Above)

Here's what I've been working on this month for my Interpret This! group.

Overall, I'm happy with how this came out.  I like the simplicity of the composition, I like the way the colors of the dolls vibrate against the black.  If I were to make one change, it would be to change the quilting to a simpler design, rather than using the other elements in the photo.  I do think I am learning what constitutes my 'voice'- and simpler is definitely part of it.

I've also decided I need to challenge myself  further in the coming months.  I will be looking to take elements of the photos rather than the entire photo.  I want to bring more of me into it.



And, I'm glad I got some handwork into this.  I do enjoy the process of hand embroidery- I just hope the arthritis I seem to be developing in my hands doesn't make that difficult or impossible to do in the coming years.

If you haven't already, click over to the Interpret This! blog to see what the others are doing with the photo.  It has been fascinating to watch the different interpretations unfold!

4 comments:

Libby Fife said...

I thought your piece turned out really well. The idea of "simpler being better" appeals to me also. It is hard to edit down and maintain your voice, just as you said. I did like the background stitching though and thought it was a great support, especially the one outlined face.

Karen S said...

I love the way the figures stand out against the black background. They look appliquéd. Makes me want to get out my paintsticks and play!

Nellie's Needles said...

I've been thinking about this piece since yesterday. The foreground figures and seed stitching tell an intriguing story. I'm in agreement that the quilted background of the shapes from the original photo don't add to this piece. I find myself distracted from the focal part trying to fit those shapes into "the story".

More seed stitches filling in the background may be the answer. Maybe done in shades of the blue from the photo?

Rita said...

Hi Bev,
I love this piece. Seed stitching has such a strong quality and it really adds a lot. I too thought the figures were appliqued .. I don't use paintstiks very often, and you've done it right! Looking forward to seeing you for our next dye class.