It was a good day
to stay inside and play. After getting rid of the mountains of snow that have surrounded our house all winter, we woke up this morning to a new blanket of the white stuff. So it was a good day to stay inside, stay warm, and do a bit of playing.
I finished the book covers which I will give to a friend this week. I changed my process for doing this, in an effort to make the underside neater. I also used two layers of fabric, my painted fabric and a layer of thin flannel. This made it a bit thicker, and more of a challenge to handle.
I did not glue the fabric to the cover- and learned that I probably should, at least around the edges. I'd also fuse the fabric and flannel together. But, those are lessons I'll put to use in future books, I am still pleased with how this one came out.
Here's the front--
And the back, where I machine quilted a vining leaf design in variegated King Tut thread.
I painted the crochet thread I used to bind the book. next time, I will try to plan ahead and dye it. Paint made the thread harder to pull through the holes, especially at the end when each hole has 6 strands going through it.
I have several more pieces of this tissue painted fabric I did last summer- I'd origially thought I would use them in small whole cloth quilts, but think I'm changing my mind. I like how they look cut up. So I am thinking there are more of these books coming, I think they have a multitude of uses!