Friday, August 28, 2009

More Dyeing!

I have two yards in two separate dyepots, trying to replicate a color I got on one of Katy Widger's sequenced overdye system. I was auditioning fabric for a background on the challenge piece, and found some teal Kona that I'd done a few years back. I thought the color was perfect, but I had to do some wonky piecing to have enough- and I decided I didn't want any piecing lines. So I'm dyeing a yard of pimatex, and a yard of the Kona muslin to see which I like better. They're in their second dyepot, I did the blue last night and washed it out this morning. Now an overdye in a very pale orange should tone in down some.



The swatch of fabric on the right is the one I'm trying to duplicate. So far, looks good to me.

I tried Katy's formula for figuring out dye amounts on a single pot- like some of her directions, they were not easy to follow- I got lost. So I figured out my own system, and only have a little bit of extra dye.

Here's the piece I'm working on. I found some fantastic half yard and yard pieces of color parfait dyeing I did a couple of years ago- one was perfect! I did some fussy cutting, and this is where I am. I'm also using a piece I screenprinted at Rayna's workshop last April.



Shannon and I are off to Salt Lake today- I have a board meeting for surface design, and we will hit several stores. By the time we get back, I'll be able to wash out the dyepots. I did try something else different- I did not wash the fabric after the first dyeing, I just ran it through a couple of cold water rinse cycles in the machine. Don't know if I'll be able to tell any difference since the second dyebath is so pale. Anyway, the house has been cleaned from top to bottom, the laundry is started and will be easy to finish tonight. Hopefully that means I can spend most of tomorrow in the studio.

I'm continuing to play with my shutter speed on my camera- I stopped just west of Price on my way home last Saturday, and got these. I was going for the fuzzy water look, and liked what I got. I definitely need to get a tripod, however.



Hope your weekend is a creative one!


No comments: