Monday, October 26, 2009

St. Petersburg and the Sunken Gardens

Yesterday we visited a couple of attractions in St. Pete, close to Sean's home here in Tampa. First we hit the Sunken Gardens, a large green oasis in town. I loved it, and ended up taking over 50 pictures. The colors and textures were amazing, and for someone who has spent most of her life in the desert, the quantity and size of the plant life here is amazing.

These leaves called out to me right after we entered the garden. The green color was intense to the point of looking almost fake.



There was strong contrast between shady areas and sunlit areas, which was challenging to photograph. Don't know that I ever figured it out completely. Love this bamboo!



While there weren't a lot of flowers, I did find some intensely colored specimens. I don't think I've seen bottle brush since I left southern California.







There were also fascinating textures- check out this bark and roots!





And what would Florida be without pink flamingoes?



Taking pictures of people turned out to be a real challenge, I just wasn't sure how to handle the light. But here's Shannon--



More tomorrow, we don't have to leave for the airport until 2 pm or so.


No comments: