Saturday, December 29, 2007

Reunion in Reno

I've been in Reno since Wednesday night, where we've had our first Hart family get-together since my uncle's memorial service three years ago. We've had fun visiting, playing games together (a real Hart tradition), eating wonderful food, and just enjoying each other's company. This year has had one new twist, with multiple laptops going at any given time!



Cory, my cousin Debbie's teenage son, introduced us to a game called Apples to Apples, which was a lot of fun. I may have to look for it when I get home, it is one that even kids can enjoy.

One of the reasons Debbie, Cory, and my aunt Mary Lou came to Reno was to see Cory's collection of library cards, which are being displayed in many of the libraries in Washoe County. He has been collecting them since he was 5 years old, and now has a collection of over 3000 cards from every state in the US, and about 48 foreign countries. Here's Cory next to the case with his display--



I haven't seen much of Cory as he has grown up, but he's a delightful young man with a good head on his shoulders. His parents should be proud!

Another Hart tradition is good food, both tasty and healthy. One night we had salmon and halibut my BIL Kevin caught up in British Columbia- a rare treat! Breakfasts, we were treated to homemade oat bran muffins with fresh blueberries, and chicken sausage from Trader Joe's.



Trader Joe's is one store I really miss, I shopped there a lot when I lived in California. And they've gotten bigger and better since then. I did make the trek to the store here, and will go home with some goodies I can take on the plane.

My sister Carol and I have hit every quilt and fabric store she knew about in Reno- Going Batty, Windy Moon Quilts, and Mill End Fabrics. I found some silk at Mill End that I hope will dye well, and get a top out of.

My brother is in the process of scanning the many boxes of photos my father left. Many are not labeled, and I know we are going to have many pictures with people that we kids have no idea who they are. A lesson to us all to label our pictures for posterity! Even with those unknowns, I love looking at the pictures from the forties- it was such a classy looking decade, unlike the abysmal seventies.

Mary Lou, Debbie, and Cory left on Saturday, so it is much quieter. Carol, Paul and I made a trip to Incline Village at Tahoe- but I'll post those later. One last night here before I return to Utah--


No comments: