Sunday, December 09, 2007

Warming up the old homefront. . .

And we need it, it warmed up enough last week that most of the snow that fell last weekend melted. But yesterday and today. we got more snow-- lots more, we probably have 8 inches in our yard.

I didn't go out much, and managed to finish four valances for the windows in our living room. We have been here two and a half years, and pretty much the only window coverings we've had are the wood blinds installed when we moved in. Our glass slider to the back yard has been naked, fortunately it just opens onto our small fenced back yard.

I was amazed how much difference a simple change like valances could make in the ambience of a room. They are my favorite color, a deep red. So here's the results:




DJ is hanging the rod for the curtains I'll make next.





I love the way the red lights up and warms up the room! Looking at this last photo, I think we will have to rethink our Christmas decor colors. No purple!!

And, I have decided to do something I haven't done in my almost fifteen years in social work- I am taking a long (for me!)vacation!! From December 19 to January 7, no work, no on-call, just regrouping, unwinding, relaxing, creating. I am serious enough about the latter that I will plan what I want to accomplish. I do not want to look back and figure I've wasted this time. Not on work stuff, but on the activities that feed my soul. I'll let you know when my list is a little more well-defined!

In the meantime, stay warm, enjoy yourself during the holidays, and take the time to feed your own spirit- not with stuff, but what is most important- family, friends, and giving.


2 comments:

Rach said...

I hope Santa brings you lots to fill up all theose stockings over the fire place!

The room looks beautiful.

Rayna said...

Your house looks so festive! I was catching up on your blog and saw that you, too, are a Thermofax addict. I left all my screens in the studio and now we're due for a snowstorm so I'll have to find something else to do.
Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season!
Rayna