Sunday, April 19, 2009

Taking Stock

After my first good night's sleep in a week and a couple of meals, I'm feeling much more human. I even got the studio put back together after breakfast.

Driving through the desolate desert between home and Grand Junction, I had lots of time to think- this kind of landscape doesn't always inspire!



When we lived in Price, my work took me to Moab regularly, so I drove this road a lot. I learned to look for beauty in the lights and shadows on the rocks. These mountains are the Bookcliffs, and they stretch for the entire sixty miles between I-70 and Price on the east side of Highway 6.

Looking further north, I could see storm clouds and snow on the summits.



I have had an idea percolating in the back of my mind, trying to juxtapose the lines of the landscape with the straight, angular lines of the power poles. I'm keeping my eyes out for a place where I can see a long line of power poles marching off into the distance.

Anyway, I've had time to think about what I brought home with me from Grand Junction. I learned some new ways to add color to fabric- I'll have to remember to plan ahead, but I certainly want to try the gelatin plate printing.

I have some new ways to begin a design- some start with the fabric, some don't. And I have new tools to self-critique during the process. I think I run into trouble when I get going, and don't stop to evaluate along the way. 'Autumn Mountains' is a good example, I could have caught the disproportionate branch and corrected it.

And, while I was putting my fabric away, I noticed I was looking at my stash with a new eye. I've dyed lots of fabric over the past five years, and some is fine as is- but others are just crying out for more layers. I found that to be especially true with the fabrics I dye painted rather than immersion dyed. I've not liked a lot of the fabric I made that way, and now I know what I'll be doing with them! I now have plenty of ideas to keep me busy this year.

Last, but certainly not least, I made some friends who share my passion for this art. I joined AQuA, the Art Quilt Association, based in Grand Junction. They are a large, creative group who certainly made me feel welcome. And Rayna was every bit as down to earth as I'd thought she'd be, in addition to being the kind of teacher who pushes you to do your own work, not copy-cat. I loved every minute in her class.

I have a challenge piece to finish by May 8 from the workshop, so I'm going downstairs to start on it. No pics, though, until I've sent it off to Rayna!


3 comments:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Wow, this reminds me of the Sinai

Rayna said...

I really like the bookcliffs but for me, they can't hold a candle to my beloved Flatirons. The mountains are special but the surrounding desolate landscape would not be my cuppa.

Thanks, Beverly - I'm glad to hear the excitement in your voice about going back and adding layers to those fabrics. Take before and after pix!

Karoda said...

I think I'd like a change in seeing so much sky...the sky gets lost in Kentucky with the verdant and lush hills and moutains.

One of the good things about the blog world is that you get extra eyes for evaluating pieces when you're too close to them...looking forward to seeing your future works and the impact of AQuA on your work.