Friday, May 15, 2009

Dyepots, and More from HMQS

I've been up since 6 am, and busy every minute. Took the dog for a walk, then came home and started some dyeing. I have some Kona muslin from Joann's that I want to try. It is 200 thread count, nice hand, and bleached. I really want to find some nice fabric to dye that I can buy locally, with shipping charges going through the roof. So we'll see.

Here's the dyepots, ready to go out on the driveway to bake in the sun. It's supposed to be a nice day- not hot, but nice.



Both sets use the same two colors- golden yellow and charcoal gray. The big pots are just the first dye run in a sequenced overdye set from Katy Widger. I love the effects I get with this system, and am hoping to replace the fantastic greens I got with these two colors that are pretty much gone.

The second sets are two value runs, dark and light, of a color modulation between golden yellow and charcoal gray. I'm also hoping to get some good examples of the difference when you soda soak fabric and when you add the soda ash after the dye has had some time to migrate around the fabric. The big pots had the soda ash added, the small pots were soda soaked. I'll be up early tomorrow morning for the washout.

I thought I would post some more pictures from HMQS last weekend. I think they make some interesting points that were discussed on the Quiltart list recently.

First, the best solitaire--





I'm sorry some of the label pictures are out of focus- but hopefully you can read it.

Next, the best duo--





And finally, the Best of Show- which was nothing short of spectacular.







The point these quilts make is that this show is all about the quilting and threadwork, and these three are certainly magnificent examples of that. Understanding that, I now have a choice- enter a quilt that doesn't have threadwork as a centerpiece, knowing that it probably won't fare well in the judging, or change my work to meet this expectation. I don't know that the latter is an option for me, simply because the work of my heart and head doesn't go in that direction. Not that I won't try to continually improve my quilting skills, and my understanding of how it can impact a design- but for me, it's more about the fabric, meaning fabric that I have created. Understanding this was a bit of an epiphany for me.

The opening for the gallery show I am in with other member's of the Utah Surface Design Group is tonight. We did have some judges, and as president I will be handing out some awards. Don't know who they are yet, but I'm looking forward to this. I'll post pictures tomorrow.





No comments: