Monday, April 05, 2010

Good Grief!!

We are officially sick of winter, but he doesn't seem to care.  We woke up to this Easter morning-


and now this is what I'm looking at out that same window.



The only good thing about spring snowstorms is the snow melts quickly.  We're supposed to be in the 60's by Friday- I sure hope the weatherman is right!

I have been doing some drawing for the April Interpret This! challenge.  I've set myself some challenges with this one- I will not trace off the photo, I will choose one design element and work with that.  I do have some ideas percolating, I just hope they aren't obvious, trite, or banal.  Being not literal does not come naturally to me when it comes to visual design!

Elizabeth Barton has a wonderful blog, mostly about design.  She really makes me think, and her recent post about working in a series resonated with me.  So I'm trying to take that approach with this photo.  Repeat after me- I do not need to tell the whole story in one piece.  I do not need to throw every technique I know or want to know into this piece.  It is ok to tell one part of the story.  I'm signed up for her Quilt University class which starts this Friday, I'm really looking forward to it.

In the meantime, I'm ignoring Old Man Winter who doesn't want to head for the southern hemisphere, and picking up my sketchbook.

2 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Uhg, look at that snow. I'll be happy with our late spring and just a hint of flowers.

I'm looking forward to seeing what element(s) you choose from my IT photo. Elizabeth Barton's posts that you reference are the reason I'm struggling with my interpretation, too. Lucky you to get into her online class. I'm looking forward to any reports about its effect on your work.

Kay said...

I'm really envious you're in Elizabeth Barton's on-line class. Hope it's good. I love her blog, but my experience with QU classes has been mixed.

"Obvious, trite, and banal"--scary. That's what I've got so far on this one.