Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spring Colors

I love this time of year.  It is balm for my eyes to see color after a long Utah winter where all you see is shades of brown and gray.

I made my annual trek to photograph Paul and Marjan's garden.  Paul was my boss years ago, and lives just a couple of miles down the road from me.  Marjan loves to garden, and it shows.





You can also tell it's spring in Utah when there's snow on the mountains, and green below the snow line.  We had more snow on Wednesday morning- thankfully, it was gone by afternoon.  But there's still plenty on the mountains.


I've been in the studio quite a bit.  My Interpret This! piece is done for all intents and purposes.  I'm just trying to decide on the edge finish.

This monthly challenge has been interesting.  I have ended up changing my design almost every month, and April was no exception.  It doesn't look anything like my initial ideas, and probably strays the furthest from the photo of any we've done thus far.  There's part of me that likes what I've done, and part that is not so sure.  I'm obviously at the point where I can no longer be objective about my own work- I'll be interested in the feedback I get.

I'm also struggling in the Elizabeth Barton online class I'm taking.  Part of it is just lack of time- but part of it has to do with her design system, which is radically different than how I've worked up to this point.  My friend Sidney plans to take the class in June- I may wait until then, and do the exercises again along with her.  I still think I can learn a lot from her, but I need to be in a place where I can slow down and just focus on the drawings and value exercises.

It's getting close to dinner time, we are having steaks and artichokes.  Yum- off to the kitchen!

3 comments:

Karen S said...

Love those tulip pictures. Snow on the mountains in the distance is my favorite place for it (snow-dyeing not withstanding). I saw snow only in the distance on Mt. Baldy until I was an adult.

Bet those steaks and artichokes were great -- that's one of my favorite meals.

Libby Fife said...

Those mountains are really interesting looking-they seem very triangular or something. Neat so thanks.

I feel like I want to say something about Elizabeth's class. I know how she works and it just isn't for everyone. Her information on value and design is pertinent but she has a pretty methodical way of working. Maybe adapting some of what she teaches to your own working methods would be a good thing to try.

Otherwise, with the IT! piece-good luck! Change it as often as you need to. I think that is part of the process.

Nellie's Needles said...

Love the photographs of your spring.