Monday, January 07, 2008

Back to Work- on both fronts

Well, all good things must come to an end, and today the vacation from work ended. I was glad that it didn't take me all day just to catch up- the holidays meant that things were rather slow anyway.

I'm still playing with the batting/cheesecloth tree. Tonight I decided that I needed to have something to hold the cheesecloth down, at least in places. So, I decided to experiment with painted wonderunder, something I've read about in the Kemshall's book. So I grabbed my paints, mixed some colors that I thought would go, and painted away. This was the final result, still wet--



Next I will cut it into smaller, curvy strips, and place it on the tree. The colors look brighter than I hope they end up- we shall see. Perhaps I will take the wise road and fuse a test piece to the batting where we tried the different paints!

As for the tree itself, this is what it looks like with the cheesecloth draped over it.



I sure hope I haven't way overdone the colors here.

I've been making some preliminary designs for the TIF challenge. Afer deciding that I wouldn't make it about any one person, I went looking for images among my photos- and found one of my mother and younger son Ian when he was a toddler. So, even though the finished piece won't be about my mother, it will have an image of her in it. And, I think that is fitting, since my mother is certainly someone I think of when it comes to people I admire. Maybe I'll be far enough to post photos of preliminary sketches by the weekend.

One last photo. Annabelle is our psycho, bed-hogging cat- but she certainly knows where to take a nap and keep warm! Doesn't matter where the heating vent is, she can nap on it. You gotta love a cat with personality, and Annabelle has no lack of that!






2 comments:

Sarah said...

This is looking very interesting, I can't wait to see more! I'm back to work too - hate it! I really like your shirt - what pattern did you use?

Nellie's Needles said...

looooove that tree! can't wait to see your progress with it.