Finally, I feel like I'm getting somewhere on the TIF challenge. I played with a different designs, and came up with these:
After due consideration,I decided the flower design was just too cutesy. It does sort of fit the challenge, since I admire anyone who can grow flowers and keep them alive- a skill I do not share!
I didn't want to quilt in between all these pieces, so I decided to quilt first and fuse the design second. For me, one of the biggest joys of fiber arts is the texture. Cloth by itself is fun, but add the texture you get with quilting, and it takes it to a whole new level. Here's the background after quilting--
That done, I fused the design elements onto the background, and started the hand embroidery I wanted to add.
I've decided I need to loosen up with this challenge, approach it more like I did the journal quilts. They are learning experiences, chances to experiment and answer the 'what if' question. Some may turn out well, maybe even inspire a larger work. And many will end up in my crap quota! That's ok, it's all part of the learning, stretching, and trying new things.
In case you didn't notice, I'm now part of a webring for TIF participants. That should make it easy to wander around the various blogs to see what others have done. Enjoy the eye candy!!